~And the truth shall make you free~

John 8:32





What is it?

Our quest for the truth began in 2009 as we were having behavioural issues with our daughter in school, seeming to have symptoms of ADD including disruptive behaviour, learning difficulties and diciplinary issues. Not wanting to pump her full of drugs, we sought a more natural way and on recommendation of our doctor we investigated the Feingold diet. It not only was successful in improving our daughters behaviour but it opened our eyes to a world of adulterated foods that we unknowingly injest, thinking all is well, and it started us on our search. There is so much different information out there about nutrition and what is good for you and not. This is our family blog chronicling our search for the truth about nutrition and health. ~To know better is to do better~

Friday, October 29, 2010

If I needed proof, I got it!

If I needed proof I sure got it, times three and all in one week! You know how sometimes you know you are doing the right thing but you can't always see the fruit of your labor, or you just don't realize your seeing the outward effects of it? We got our confirmation this week.
 I will start with last Friday - Proof Number One - My middle daughter (the one that we originally put on the Feingold diet) had a dentist appointment, so my hubby took her. When filling out the paper work he wrote under allergies, "allergic to artificial dyes and flavors" but I do not think anyone looked at it before the appointment. She was taken for her check up and my hubby stayed in the waiting room. She finished up and he took her back to school. When she got home I could immediately tell she was not herself. She had been home for around 30 minutes and had about 4 or 5 meltdowns, plus she had gotten a note home from the teacher for acting up in school. I didn't know what in the world was wrong with her until she started telling me all about her dentist appointment and then she said, "and then they put cherry flavored stuff in my mouth." Suddenly everything made sense. If I needed proof that her diet was working I certainly got it Friday! It just amazes me how hyper sensitive kids with ADD are to certain foods and additives!

Proof number two. Now this one is a little difficult for me to admit to, being a writer of a blog all about healthy eating but it just goes to show we're all human and have our weaknesses. I'm just thankful to know that God can help us with them. So proof number two starts this Tuesday when our family went to our church Fall festival. The girls played carnival games and won heaps of candy, loaded with artificial color and flavor. They came home ready to trade their candy in for money or natural candies without all the artificials in them(this is what we do during all the holidays when candies are given). The next day the girls were in school and their bags of candy were just sitting on the counter staring at me all day. The next thing I know I'm chowing down on one of their mini chocolate bars, then another.... Pretty soon I had probably eaten 6 or 7 of their chocolates.  Within 30 minutes I started feeling quite nauseous and then a headache set in, which is very odd for me because I rarely get headaches. I was very surprised by the reaction but it had been months since I had deliberately eaten anything with an artificial flavor or color in it, so I guess my body just really was not used to it. If I needed proof that this stuff was not good for me I got it!
Now comes proof number three which just happened last night. While my hubby was at work last night they threw the employees a harvest party and provided all the fixings for fajitas for their lunch. He says he ate quite alot of them because they were the last shift to eat and there was lots of meat left over. Fifteen minutes later he says he started sneezing non-stop and then came down with one of those ice-pick in the forehead headaches. He felt terrible! He thought there must have been MSG in the fajita seasoning. One of his coworkers asked him what was wrong because he could tell he didn't look good..  When he told him how he was feeling, his coworker said he hadn't been feeling very well either and that he was alergic to MSG. Hmmm........
 All this to say -  If I needed proof that what we put in our bodies is important and really does make a difference, I had plenty of  proof this week!
Proverbs 2: 1-6 My child, listen to what I say and treasure my commands. Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Search for them as you would for silver, seek them like hidden treasures. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God. For the Lord grants wisdom! From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.


~April~

No comments:

Post a Comment