~And the truth shall make you free~

John 8:32





What is it?

Our quest for the truth began in 2009 as we were having behavioural issues with our daughter in school, seeming to have symptoms of ADD including disruptive behaviour, learning difficulties and diciplinary issues. Not wanting to pump her full of drugs, we sought a more natural way and on recommendation of our doctor we investigated the Feingold diet. It not only was successful in improving our daughters behaviour but it opened our eyes to a world of adulterated foods that we unknowingly injest, thinking all is well, and it started us on our search. There is so much different information out there about nutrition and what is good for you and not. This is our family blog chronicling our search for the truth about nutrition and health. ~To know better is to do better~

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

It's National Coffee Day!

In honor of national coffee day it seems only fitting that today's blog be about coffee! I happen to very much enjoy a cup of coffee but usually I drink it for relaxation like in the morning when the kids are off to school and the babies still in bed and the house is nice and peaceful or in the afternoon at babies nap time. I've only been enjoying coffee for the last couple years since we had our 3rd child and I needed something natural to give me an energy boost. At first I couldn't stand it but drank it only out of necessity but now I have grown to really enjoy my cup of coffee everyday. I do try to limit myself to one cup a day simply because I do not enjoy coffee without cream and sugar in it which makes my cup of coffee have some extra calories. In researching the health benefits of coffee there seems to be many. Below is an article listing some of the health benefits and risks to coffee. As far as I can tell any of the risks are only if people are drinking many cups a day but if it's just a couple it looks like we may be receiving many benefits from our coffee.
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/coffee-new-health-food




I would like to just add that in my opinion it seems like it would be best to drink regular coffee verses decaffeinated. The reasons being that if they are soaking the coffee beans to remove the caffeine surely you are not only losing the caffeine but some of the good things in your coffee like antioxidants, minerals like magnesium and chromium. Also if your decaffeinated coffee is made using the European method then they are putting a chemical on your coffee beans called methylene chloride. If you are interested in the two different processes used to make decaffeinated coffee check out  this link. http://chilipaper.com/FNCC/decaf_coffee.htm

~April~

No comments:

Post a Comment