~And the truth shall make you free~

John 8:32





What is it?

Our quest for the truth began in 2009 as we were having behavioural issues with our daughter in school, seeming to have symptoms of ADD including disruptive behaviour, learning difficulties and diciplinary issues. Not wanting to pump her full of drugs, we sought a more natural way and on recommendation of our doctor we investigated the Feingold diet. It not only was successful in improving our daughters behaviour but it opened our eyes to a world of adulterated foods that we unknowingly injest, thinking all is well, and it started us on our search. There is so much different information out there about nutrition and what is good for you and not. This is our family blog chronicling our search for the truth about nutrition and health. ~To know better is to do better~

Friday, September 24, 2010

The flax seed to eggs experiment!

So today on a whim I decided to make my pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. I think the rainy day put me in the mood to bake. Looking over the recipe I realized it called for 4 eggs which I had none of. Before I could get to disappointed I remembered a conversation I had a few weeks back with my friend Wendy. She had told me that she found out by mixing hot water and flax seed you could make yourself a substitute for eggs. I then went to the computer and googled it.
1TBSP milled/ground flax seed to 3 TBSP of very hot water. Mix together and let set for approx. 30 minutes or until it turns sort of gooey like an egg, then just use in place of eggs.
I decided to go ahead and give it a try in my muffins. When I mixed the flax seed mixture in I was a little concerned because it smelled very strong and I did not enjoy the smell at all. By now I figured it was to late to go back and wait for eggs so I went ahead and mixed up the batter and poured it in the muffin cups. I could tell as soon as they finished cooking and I pulled them out of the oven that they did not have that funny smell anymore. My kids had no idea what I had done and could hardly wait to have one. Terry, the girls and myself think they are delicious. I also changed the recipe and traded some of the white flour for whole wheat and traded some of the cooking oil for apple sauce. Below is a picture of the finished results! For the recipe go to our favorite links and click on recipes.




Below is some information about flax seed health benefits.

It may be tiny, but it’s mighty: The flax seed carries one of the biggest nutrient payloads on the planet. And while it’s not technically a grain, it has a similar vitamin and mineral profile to grains, while the amount of fiber, antioxidants, and Omega-3 fatty acids in flax leaves grains in the dust. Additionally, flax seed is very low in carbohydrates, making it ideal for people who limit their intake of starches and sugars. And its combination of healthy fat and high fiber content make it a great food for weight loss and maintenance -- many dieters have found that flax seed has been a key to keeping them feeling satisfied.

Flax Seed Nutrition

Yes, flax seed is high in most of the B vitamins, magnesium, and manganese, but this little seed is just getting started. There are three additional nutrient groups which flax seed has in abundance, and each has many benefits.
Flax seed is Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 fatty acids are a key force against inflammation in our bodies. Mounting evidence shows that inflammation plays a part in many chronic diseases including heart disease, arthritis, asthma, diabetes, and even some cancers. This inflammation is enhanced by having too little Omega-3 intake (such as in fish, flax, and walnuts), especially in relation to Omega-6 fatty acid intake (in such oils as soy and corn oil). In the quest to equalize the ratio of these two kinds of oils, flax seed can be a real help.

Most of the oil in flax seeds is alpha linolenic acid (ALA). ALA is an Omega-3 which is a precursor to the fatty acids found in salmon and other fatty cold-water fish (called EPA and DHA). Because not everyone is able to easily convert ALA into EPA and (especially) DHA, it is best not to rely solely on flax for your Omega-3 intake, but ALA also has good effects of its own, and definitely helps in the Omega 3/6 balance.
Flax Seed is High in Fiber: You’d be hard-pressed to find a food higher in fiber -- both soluble and insoluble -- than flax. This fiber is probably mainly responsible for the cholesterol-lowering effects of flax. Fiber in the diet also helps stabilize blood sugar, and, of course, promotes proper functioning of the intestines.

Phytochemicals: Flax seed is high in phytochemicals, including many antioxidants. It is perhaps our best source of lignans, which convert in our intestines to substances which tend to balance female hormones. There is evidence that lignans may promote fertility, reduce peri-menopausal symptoms, and possibly help prevent breast cancer. In addition, lignans may help prevent Type 2 diabetes.

Note that a) flax seeds need to be ground to make the nutrients available (otherwise they just “pass through”) and b) flax seed oil alone contains neither the fiber nor the phytochemicals of whole flax seed meal.

To read the entire article by Laura Dolson go to about.com


~April~

2 comments:

  1. I love your new blog, the title and everything! I am going to enjoy reading it!
    I would have never thought of flax seed! My husband had a friend who used to put it in everything but I never quite understood why. I am gonna try some now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Leo! That is really nice to hear, because as I've learned a lot of work goes into making one of these blogs, which I'm sure you already know. I've really been enjoying reading your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete